Saturday, December 8, 2012

The end of Russia

Photobucket

Mr V banned me from talking to my lovely bloggers until now. Apparently I was tired and slightly grumpy and he didn't feel it was fair for you to be submitted to this particular horror. Personally I think I have a very good excuse, the last hotel had a bed that is easily comparable to a stack of bricks, that's right, im admitting I might be slightly grumpy and I'm blaming it on my lack of sleep! 

Yesterday we visited Catherine Palace. A country palace its decorated in traditional Baroque style which for me personally seems rather over the top but I will let you make up your own mind. The outside of the building is lovely, its this soft shade of blue which just looks magical against the snow. 

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

We also visited the Leningrad Siege Memorial which I have to say was touching. For those who don't know St Petersburg used to be called Leningrad. During world war 2 Hitler laid siege to the city, surrounding the city on all sides he declared he was not going to waste precious men on this city, he would starve them out. 900 days later the Russians finally beat the Nazis back however it came at a great cost. We found out in the last 100 years over half the population of Russia had died. Can you imagine living in that type of constant devastation your entire life?

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Finally we finished with the tour guide! I have to say both Hubby and I breathed a quiet sigh of relief at having survived but lets keep that between us! Now today we have left Russia and have started our journey into the Ukraine. It should be a very interesting could of days and I'm looking forward to sharing it with you!!!

No comments: